Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cucumber-Tomato Salad

Good Morning,

Recently, I had been wanting something healthy (and salty :O), so I had been searching around pinterest for anything in that category. I racked my brain for anything I had had in the past and remembered a delightful dish a friend of mine from work had made for a pot luck. It was exactly what I was wanting! Cucumber salad :). So instead of bothering her for the recipe and/or secret ingredient (you know how women can be sometimes about reciepes, lol), I decided to search pinterest for a recipe. The end product was great. The male ate it all, although sometimes I can't tell if he does that because he likes it or because he's polite. Anyway, see below :)

So I started off with some baby cucumbers. I used 3. Sliced them thin, but not too thin. See pic. Also had some heirloom tomatoes from my garden at work :) Aren't they cute! I didn't use heirloom tomatoes only, but I did use a few.
 
Ignore my multiple bowls in the background; I couldn't figure out which bowls to use and was making this harder than it needed to be lol. So anyway, the other things you'll need are:
 
Baby/cherry tomatoes (these are the ones from the store I used)
 

 
Sorry that's turned around. They're called Lip Smacking Grapes. I got them from target.
 
 
The rest of the ingredients:
 
1/4th a cup of red onion, THINLY sliced
3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
Dill weed (or just regular dill; I didn't have fresh regular dill on hand)
Salt
Pepper
Lime Juice
 


Directions:

All I did was slice everything and mix it together. Sliced my tomatoes into halves and into 4ths. Took the onion and thinly sliced it. VERY thinly. You don't want huge chunks of onions in it unless you LOVE crunching into them. Plus they can over power the flavor and you don't want that either. Add just enough of them so that you can see them, but not where they're everywhere. *shudder* Added the rice wine vinegar, enough dill weed to cover the tomatoes and cucumbers (I don't have an exact measurement), salt, pepper, and a few squirts of lime.

I was eating this while I was preparing it because it's so good!

 
I didn't say how many tomatoes I used because honestly, I don't remember. Use however many you want. I'm pretty sure I used about 6 or 7, but that was to my liking. You can add just enough to make them even with the cucumbers, or you can add more or less. It just depends on what you like :)
 

 
Here you can see where I added the onions. Didn't want too many of them. Red onions are good, but they are STRONG!



Here you can see where I added everything else. Mixed it all together, covered it, and put it in the fridge for an hour before I got back into it. This makes for a very healthy flavor packed side dish. :) Hope you enjoyed! As usual, feel free to add any comments, tips, or anything else. Have a wonderful wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment