Monday, September 23, 2013

Garden Salsa

Hello Again,

So I'm working on two cups of coffee and decided I would do another post. This post is for salsa. So yea, summer is officially over and all, but people eat salsa all year long. So all you expert cooks, don't get technical with me. If you want to explain all about summer and fall veggies in the comments section, please feel free to do so. I would love to learn about what's in season, what's not, etc. So basically, here's a recipe for delicious salsa!! I got the recipe from my mom, and God know's where it came from before that. So don't kill me if this is a recipe from somewhere else. I mean honestly, salsa is pretty easy anyway. They all are basically the same thing with a few tweaks here and there. Here's the recipe:

1 tomato
1 can of rotel diced tomato  (or you can just use two real tomatoes instead of the rotel and one tomato)
1/4th of a purple onion
½ cup of cilantro
½ a lime
2-3 small jalapeno peppers (depending on how hot you like your salsa)

Take the 1/4th onion and cut it into blocks. Put in food processor and process until very small, but not to where it’s too small to see it (you don’t want it pasty or watery). Take it out and do the cilantro next. Leave the cilantro in (optional, or you can take it out and put it all in at the end) and cut tomato into blocks. Put blocked tomato in to processor along with can of rotel. Blend until smooth. Add the onion (and the cilantro, if you took it out).

Chop up the jalapeno very small (you can also put this in the food processor beforehand) and add to the mix. Depending on how hot you want it, you can leave the seeds in or take them out. I leave a few in, but take most of them out because the seeds are where the heat comes from.

Take half a lime and squeeze the juice into the salsa. Mix all in food processor. You can add salt and pepper to taste. I didn’t need to add any, so you may not have to. So don't make fun of my mini processor lol. I know it's small :) I'm going to get a larger one here pretty soon. Although it was overflowing, it did the job :)!
 
 
 
So that's all. Here's a tip: Heirloom tomatoes (the funny colored ones) would probably be DELICIOUS instead of rotel and just regular tomatoes. Also, if you can get tomatoes you know came from a garden instead of ones at like, walmart, you may notice a huge difference. Tomatoes from a garden have so much flavor, unlike many of those you find at huge chains :\.

No comments:

Post a Comment